Holy Child students learn about hunger through eating
Brian Lewis/The Gazette
Most days, middle school students at Potomac's Connelly School of the Holy Child open up their lunch boxes to find a sandwich, or maybe some leftovers from last night's dinner.
On Nov. 18, though, lunch was served a bit differently.
As part of the Oxfam America Hunger Banquet, the school fed 15 percent of their students a whole meal—with macaroni and cheese and croissants, among other things—while the remaining 85 percent ate either rice and beans or just rice.
The goal was to teach the students how fortunate they are by showing them how much of the world—85 percent—eats either rice and beans or just rice for meals every day.
"They'll never forget this," said Sarah Willging, a teacher who helped coordinate the event. "They'll go home and make a sandwich, but now they realize that half the world goes to bed hungry."
The students make sandwiches for a shelter each week, Willging said, but eating a meal that a hungry person in Africa or Asia might eat hit home. Prior to the banquet, the students made posters and watched videos about world hunger, she said.
During the banquet, the 15 percent eating a decent meal sat at tables, with linen and china. The 35 percent who ate the rice and beans were able to sit in chairs, while the other 50 percent ate their rice on the floor.
"I think this was very eye-opening for the students," Willging said. "Before we started learning about this, the students didn't know that some people have to walk five or 10 miles, just for clean water."
Churchill hosts tea party, performs Beauty'
In an effort to raise money for a trip to Scotland this summer, the Winston Churchill High School drama department will host two tea parties in conjunction with the school's production of "Beauty and the Beast."
The tea party costs $35 per child in advance, $40 at the door, and includes photo opportunities with the characters, a sing-along, and a ticket to the show.
The tea parties will take place at noon on Saturday, and 5 p.m. on Dec. 13, immediately preceding the day's performance.
To purchase tickets or for more information, visit www.wchsdrama.org or call 301-469-1246.
The actual production of "Beauty and the Beast" will take place at 7:30 p.m., Friday, Saturday, Dec. 12 and 13, and 2:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Tickets for the show are $10 and $12, and can be purchased online at www.seatyourself.biz/
Churchill High School is located at 11300 Gainsborough Road, Potomac.
Free financial aid seminar given at WJ
Have questions about financial aid for your college bound son or daughter? Join other parents and Melissa Gregory, director of financial aid at Montgomery College, at 7 p.m., Monday, at Walter Johnson High School for a discussion about what you can do to help your child secure more money for college.
Information will be available about grants, loans, scholarships and work-study programs, and Gregory will be on hand to answer any questions. Parents and students are invited to attend this free workshop. Walter Johnson is located at 6430 Rock Spring Drive, Bethesda.
Pucks to Bucks supports WJ hockey
The Washington Capitals' Pucks to Buck program, which helps raise money for area youth hockey teams, is now selling tickets to help the squad at Walter Johnson High School in Bethesda.
All games for the 2008-2009 Capitals schedule are available, and a percentage of the profits goes to support WJ Hockey. Tickets range in cost from $25 to $65, with an additional $5 added to weekend game tickets. To order tickets, visit www.capstickets.com/puckstobucks.html. For more information, call Tim Bronaugh at 202-266-2341.
Send school notes by 10 a.m. Thursdays to Bradford Pearson via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax to 301-670-7183 or by mail to 9030 Comprint Court, Gaithersburg, MD 20877. Photos will also be considered.