Thursday, March 15, 2007

Cigarette burns one of the oldest homes in Garrett Park

E-mail this article \ Print this article


One of the oldest homes in Garrett Park was severely damaged by a fire Wednesday afternoon, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service officials.

An improperly discarded cigarette butt started the fire at 11204 Kenilworth Ave., shortly after 2 p.m., according to investigators.

The homeowner suffered first- and second-degree burns over a third of his body, Fire and Rescue Service officials said.

Damage to the home, built in the late-1800s, is estimated at more than $1 million, officials said.

Garrett Park Mayor Carolyn Shawaker said neighbors and the Garrett Park Civic Association would most likely organize a relief drive for the displaced residents, but had no further details.