The low-carbohydrate diet craze has changed the way many of us eat. From South Beach to Atkins, many low-carb diets encourage followers to stay away from complex carbohydrates such as breads, cereals, rice, pastas and potatoes, which are harder for the body to digest. A diet without pasta and bread may not sound like a good time, but there's no need for low-carb aficionados to worry. They can stick to their diets and still enjoy delicious, healthful meals.
This recipe for Tuscan Chicken with Vegetables is a perfect low-carb meal. The inclusion of the yellow squash makes it an excellent one-dish meal, as well. To top it off, it's also low maintenance and easy. All you need is a sauté pan to prepare it, so there's only one pan to wash after dinner.
The chicken is added to a preheated pan drizzled with olive oil and cooked until it browns. The vegetables are added and cooked through until they begin to caramelize.
Chef Danielle is a personal chef at Great Taste - A Personal Chef Service. You can e-mail her at ChefDanielle@
Tuscan Chicken with Vegetables
1 tbsp. olive oil
4 chicken breasts, cut into strips
4 yellow squash, sliced thinly
1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 14-ounce can marinated artichoke earts, drained and quartered
1/4 cup sliced black olives, drained
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
Fresh Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in sauté pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add chicken strips and cook until lightly browned.
3. Add squash and peppers and continue cooking on medium-high heat until brown and tender, stirring frequently and scraping browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
4. Sprinkle with oregano, basil, salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add the artichokes, olives and tomatoes and continue cooking until heated through.
6. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.