Accused shooter in deputy slayings to be given evaluation
Dec. 11, 2002
Greg Johnson
Staff Writer

About two months after three people were arrested for their alleged roles in the Sept. 27 slayings of two county deputies, all charges have been dropped against one suspect while another has been released without bail, and the accused shooter has pleaded not guilty due to insanity.

James Logan, 23, has been indicted for the murders of Sgt. James Arnaud and Deputy Elizabeth Magruder, who were killed while trying to serve Logan with a petition at his Adelphi home. The court order required Logan to undergo an emergency psychological evaluation. After Logan's arrest, his attorney said Logan had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia shortly before the shooting occurred.

Attorney Fred Bennett said last week that he officially filed a plea Nov. 15 that claimed Logan is not criminally responsible for the crime, because of his mental condition. Logan was ordered to submit to a mental evaluation conducted by a state psychiatrist, and Bennett said this exam would support his claim.

"I feel confident that I have got a strong case of mental illness and a lack of responsibility," Bennett said.

Deputy State's Attorney William Manico said during an interview last week that prosecutors would not rely entirely on the psychiatric evaluation when deciding how to proceed with the case.

"We'll look at all the evidence and make a decision," Manico said.

Logan remains jailed without bond. He was arrested Aug. 31.

Largo resident Twyla James was charged with being an accessory to the crime, because she allegedly picked Logan up after the shooting and allowed him to stay at her Belton Street residence, even though she knew he was wanted by police.

Court records state, however, that all charges against James were dropped during a Nov. 11 hearing in Prince George's County Circuit Court in Upper Marlboro.

A third person charged in the incident, Hyattsville resident Anthony Kromah, has been released on personal recognizance. Police said Kromah, 19, was with Logan when the deputies were shot and helped Logan hide the murder weapon.

Kromah was charged with two counts of first-degree murder and with being an accessory. But he was released on his own recognizance Nov. 1 to await an April 22 trial.