'It's a tragic, tragic loss...'
Sep. 5, 2002
Greg Johnson
Staff Writer

This was something the sheriff's department had never done before.

On Tuesday, deputies, joined by hundreds of other local law enforcement officers, gathered in North Beach to lay Sgt. James Arnaud to rest.

That scene will be repeated again today when they gather in Clinton to bury Deputy Elizabeth Magruder.

Arnaud and Magruder were gunned down Aug. 29 when they tried to serve a civil petition at a residence in Adelphi. Police said James Logan, 23, shot both officers before fleeing the house and starting a 30-hour-long manhunt concluding with his arrest 2 a.m. Saturday.

A county judge ordered Logan, who is charged with two counts of first-degree murder, be given a mental evaluation during a bond hearing Tuesday in Prince George's County Circuit Court in Upper Marlboro.

Security at the courthouse Tuesday was provided by deputies from Charles County who stood in while members of the county's sheriff office attended funeral services for Arnaud. Thousands of law enforcement officers from the area -- including more than one hundred who rode before the casket aboard thundering motorcycles -- also paid their respects at a ceremony held at St. Anthony's Catholic Church in North Beach.

Arnaud, who lived in North Beach, was posthumously awarded the rank of sergeant during the ceremony after earning this nickname while on the force.

"We used to call him 'Sarge' because he had that attitude," said sheriff's Cpl. David Dillard. "He was well respected and loved."

"Basically it's a tragic, tragic loss to our family," Dillard said. "I hope nothing like this happens again -- for any agency."

Sheriff Alonzo Black has said Arnaud, 53, and Magruder, 30, were the first county deputies to die in the line of duty on the department's 306 years.

Arnaud spent 20 years in the Army before retiring and joining the Prince George's County Sheriff's Office. He was a 13-year veteran of the department and is survived by his wife, Teresa, two children, Michael and Jamey and two grandchildren, Jacob and Joseph.

Magruder lived in Clinton with her husband Derwinn and three-year-old son, Devin.

She graduated from Oxon Hill High School in 1992 and attended Prince George's Community College. She worked for the United Parcel Service, W.S. Jenks and Sons, and Professional Security Bureau before joining the department -- graduating from the Southern Maryland Criminal Justice Academy in May.

Calvert County Sheriff John "Rodney" Bartlett, Jr., who was with the Arnaud family the night he was shot and helped coordinate funeral, greeted mourners at the ceremony Tuesday.

During the service, most of the officers stood on the hot blacktop across the street from the church -- some walking the boardwalk or sliding back into their patrol cars.

For many, it was a time of reflection. Weighing heavy on the mind of Calvert County Deputy David Jacobs was the memory of his friend and police academy classmate, Magruder. The two graduated together from the academy in May.

"We had a good time," he said of his fallen comrade. "She actually got the PT award [an award for the most improved officer]. We were always joking."

Services for Magruder are set for today at The Church of the Great Commission in Suitland. She will be buried at Resurrection Cemetery in Clinton.

Prosecutors said they are considering seeking the death penalty against Logan.

Attorney Scott Little, who represents Logan, said at the court hearing Tuesday that his client has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and needs a mental examination and counseling. Logan appeared on a video monitor, but did not speak during the court hearing in Upper Marlboro.

Judge Frank Kratovil ordered Logan to be held without bail and to undergo a mental examination at the county center before the end of the week. A preliminary hearing has been set for Sept. 27.

Magruder and Arnaud went to the home of Logan's parents Aug. 29 to serve Logan with a warrant that mandated he undergo a psychological evaluation. Logan had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia at Prince George's Hospital Center in Cheverly Aug. 26, Little said, and Logan's wife had sought the warrant.

According to court documents, Arnaud and Magruder arrived at the Logan's Lynmont Drive residence at about 9:20 p.m. After they found Logan in the basement, police said, he struggled with the pair and ran into an upstairs bedroom and shut the door.

The two deputies tried to talk Logan into coming out of the bedroom when he allegedly opened the door and began firing. Arnaud was struck in the neck and died at the scene. Magruder was hit in the head and was taken to Prince George's Hospital Center, where she was later pronounced dead.

Deputy State's Attorney William Manico said at the hearing that Logan shot one of the deputies six times. He ran from the house that night, Manico said, and got rid of the handgun and sought shelter at a friend's house.

"He knew what he was doing," Manico said.

The weapon has since been found, prosecutors said.

Logan was arrested after an around-the-clock manhunt at an apartment complex in Langley Park. Logan was spotted at about 2 a.m. Saturday and allegedly fled into a shed on the property and refused to surrender. Investigators said an electronic taser stun gun and a police dog were used to make the arrest.

Logan suffered cuts to both ankles and had stitches in his right arm from the dog bite, Little said, but was otherwise in good condition.

Prosecutors said a friend of Logan's, Anthony Kromah, 19, who was present during the shootings, has also been charged with first-degree murder. Investigators believe Kromah acted as an accessory, prosecutors said, but he surrendered to police before Logan was apprehended.

Logan, Kromah and a third man were stopped Aug. 3 for speeding near Hollywood in St. Mary's County. When police searched the car, they allegedly found marijuana, cocaine, crack cocaine and a .38 caliber revolver loaded with six rounds of ammunition. The three were arrested and taken to the St. Mary's county detention center. Logan was later released on $25,000 bond.

Karen Logan, James Logan's mother, said Tuesday she is pleased he was arrested safely and that her family extends its sympathies to the relatives of Arnaud and Magruder.

Karen Logan said she and other relatives tried to get help for her son, but they were unable to commit Logan against his will.

"Unless he starts carrying on in some violent way, they are not going to take him in," she said. "I don't know what more we could do."

Logan, who graduated from High Point High School, had recently gotten married and was under stress, relatives said. Karen Logan said there is a history of mental problems in the family and that family members tried to get help when they noticed strange behavior.

"He was extremely paranoid. He was afraid of persons he thought were trying to get him," she said. "It could be the police, it could be firemen... it could be people from the post office."

State's Attorney Jack Johnson said he planned to take the case to the grand jury today. There are aspects of the case that need to be looked into, Johnson said, before prosecutors decide what actions to take.

"Personally, I don't believe a mentally ill person should be subject to the death penalty," Johnson said. "This is a very complicated case... By the 27th (of September), I'm sure we'll be ready to indict (Logan) and move forward."

Staff Writer Paul Liebe contributed to this report.